October 6, 2022
It’s always difficult to experience pain of any kind, especially when it affects your daily life activities. For many of us, knee pain can come in different forms. Sometimes it can be caused by overuse from exercise, injury due to a car accident, arthritis or other systemic inflammatory conditions that affect joins and muscles, or the knee joint may be locked or misaligned. Excess weight can also increase pressure on the knees. For every one pound of extra weight, four pounds of pressure are placed on the joints. Whatever the cause may be, chiropractic care is a gentle way to help relive pain and discomfort.
Talking with your chiropractor about knee pain, symptoms you experience, and activities that may have contributed to the discomfort, is the first step to understanding what may be happening. Having an X-ray done of the area can also show your chiropractor what’s going on, and together, a plan of action can be determined.
As a general rule, there are some things that can be done at home to help relieve knee pain. They include:
- Resting the knee. This can help reduce the strain on the knee and surrounding tendons, ligaments, and muscles, which can help it heal.
- Applying ice to reduce inflammation. Inflammation leads to pain and stiffness, and it’s important to get that under control.
- Applying heat to help muscles relax. If there is tightness in the muscle, heat is a great way to help it relax. As long as there’s no active inflammation, burning, or recent injury to the area, heat can help loosen the muscle and put it at ease.
- Compression. Compression is another tool that can be used to help relieve knee pain. This includes gently wrapping the knee to provide extra support, while also allowing for movement and flexibility.
- Chiropractic care. If the hip, knee, or ankle joint is locked or misaligned, it can cause pain and discomfort for any one of these areas, and can certainly cause pain in the knee. Chiropractic care is a gentle, yet effective way to realign the joints, relieve pain and tension, and restore balance to the body.
If you’re experiencing knee pain and would like to see if chiropractic care can help relieve your symptoms, we invite you to contact Riddle Wellness today. We’re happy to help answer your questions, schedule an appointment, and discuss your options with you.